|I'll be cycling to the top at the end of June.|
- I have a coach! Did I already mention that? Wait, I think I've written several unpublished posts about that, so it's probably news. I'm working with Michelle Simmons from Simmons Endurance Coaching on Oahu. Her slogan is "Find A New Gear." I'll be writing more on this later, but suffice it to say that in these first three weeks I have definitely found gears I didn't know I had!
- Speaking of gears...have you seen those sports drink commercials where they show the athletes completely dripping with sweat? I mean, they have sweat glistening from every pore and it's running in rivulets down their necks, arms, torso, legs. I never believed anyone could sweat that much - that it was all for show. Well, the trainer workouts I've been doing are producing the exact same results. I never knew I could work so hard.
- I'm training for Cycle to the Sun at the end of June. I got shut out of the two 70.3's I wanted to do this year (I didn't sign up in time, d'oh!). So I did the next
batshitcrazybest thing I could think of: ride to the top of Haleakala Crater on the steepest paved road in the world. It's only 36 miles. With...ahem... 10,023ft of climbing. (At least it's on home turf so I can train for it!)
- It appears my plantar fasciitis is waning. FINALLY. After a gait analysis and a custom orthotic (plus some leg/glute strength training), pain has gone from an 8 to about a 2-3 and continues to get better. I'm going to add a little bit of running to the mix and see how it goes.
- Nutrition-wise I'm trying a few new things...trying to get back to 100% Paleo after dabbling with a little high fat dairy for awhile. Dairy just doesn't seem to work for me - it just adds unwanted weight. I'm sticking with a higher fat, lower carb regimen and trying to become more fat-adapted for endurance events, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure how well that will translate with all the climbing I'm going to be doing - I might need a little more sugar.
|Kahekili Hwy - My new favorite training place.|